Yesterday was almost 80°F in New Hampshire, no joke. It was such an amazing day. I took my dog for a nice long hike, even though there is still snow on the ground in some places (which was a funny juxtaposition to the sunny weather,) and enjoyed the warmth after a pretty cold winter up here. While this may not be the last of the snow, it really felt like summer for the day. When it’s hot like that out, I really just crave a salad for dinner and try to avoid cooking over a hot stove to prepare dinner. My husband is almost there… but of course, we had to add some meat to our salads. Make some baked coconut chicken tenders with this salad for some protein!
Both the salad and the chicken tenders were incredibly easy to make and extremely refreshing. There is something about having a lot of fruit in a salad that makes it feel special and not like your everyday lunch salad. This one is particularly extravagant feeling with the sectioned oranges and the amazing mangoes (which I was SO lucky to find ripe up here day-of!) That sweetness mixed with the tart lime dressing and spicy jalapeños is really delicious. Next time it’s hot out, definitely take a little extra time and make yourself a delicious dinner salad with some extra special ingredients you don’t normally use.
Tropical Salad with Honey Lime Basil Vinaigrette
Yield 4 servings
For the salad:
- 3 full romaine lettuce stalks, chopped
- 1 mango, cut into squares
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 oranges, sectioned, with the juice from the scraps set aside in a small bowl
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1/2 a red onion, chopped
- 8 large basil leaves, chopped
- 1 large avocado, chopped
For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 4 tablespoons lime juice, basically 2 limes
- pinch of salt
- pinch of garlic powder
- pinch of pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- reserved juice from orange sections
- Toss together all of the salad ingredients.
- Combine the dressing ingredients together in a mason jar and shake (or just whisk them together in a bowl.
- Pour over the salad, and enjoy!
Courses Lunch or Dinner