Pasta is one of my favorite foods ever, but… spaghetti squash is one of those sneaky vegetables that is so delicious, I don’t even consider it to be my healthy “substitute,” I think I actually prefer it. (Don’t judge me for saying that…!) It has sort of come into favor the past few years with the rise of all of these clean eating diets, but it was a staple of mine all through childhood too. This is my healthy comfort food go-to, for sure.
However… it is a real pain to cut! Some people solely roast it in the oven, some people solely microwave it, but I’ve found a combination of the two to be the best cooking method. It creates a delicious result, plus, it saves your fingers!
The Easiest Way To Cook Spaghetti Squash
Yield 2-4 servings
This is less of a recipe regarding the actual ingredients, and more of a cooking method for you to try.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Rinse your spaghetti squash, and poke two holes on opposite sides of the squash with a sharp knife. Cut these where you will later extend these lines to cut the squash in half.
- Microwave the squash for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the squash from the oven (it'll be hot!)
- Extend your cut lines and cut the squash in half.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds.
- Cover both halves with olive oil and set, open side up, on a baking sheet.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes, or until you can easily separate the squash from the skin.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Take a fork and remove the squash from the skin.
- Season to taste and top with cheese or any of your favorite pasta toppings!
Courses Lunch and Dinner