This Slow Cooker Pesto Chicken and Quinoa Primavera is absolutely delicious – it is as easy and delicious as it is colorful. Don’t let the ingredient list fool you; even though it has a lot of components, it’s pretty much as simple as just adding them to the slow cooker.
For my everyday cooking, I generally prefer to make recipes that are relatively simple and easily thrown together. While I sometimes will go all out if I have the time (and have planned ahead,) most days I’m not spending an inordinate amount of time cooking dinner. This dish fits right into that nicely – while it does take a long time to cook, per se, the slow cooker is doing all of the labor for you. Other than the asparagus in this dish, you’re literally just adding different ingredients at different times to the pot. And let me tell you, the end result is really delicious. What more could you want?
Slow Cooker Pesto Chicken and Quinoa Primavera
Yield 8 servings
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth, plus an additional 2-3 cup for later, if needed
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 bag frozen peas
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, optional
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 6 ounces pesto (or more if you want it)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces (on the bias, so it looks nice!)
- Parmesan cheese for topping
- Add the chicken, 4 cups chicken stock, garlic, basil, and Italian seasoning into your slow cooker and cook on low for about 4-5 hours.
- Pull apart the chicken into smaller pieces and add the quinoa and cook for an additional 30 minutes to an hour, until the quinoa has soaked up all of the water.
- Add the additional 2-3 cups of chicken stock at this point, if needed, to make the quinoa resemble more of a risotto.
- Add the frozen peas, pesto, sun dried tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and lemon juice. Stir to combine and cover to allow the peas to heat through.
- Heat the olive oil in a small pan and cook the asparagus over high heat for about 5-10 minutes, or until cooked and slightly browned.
- Add the asparagus to the crock pot and stir to combine.
- Serve in medium-sized bowls, topped with Parmesan cheese.
Recipe inspired by Pinch of Yum.
Courses Lunch or Dinner