This one-pot quinoa chicken dish with asparagus and peas is really fast and easy to make and, most importantly, it’s very healthy.
Everyone has those days when they just need a quick dinner to pull together in a hurry, particularly on a weeknight. This is is one of those dishes you can throw together quickly, and change based on what you have on hand at the time. I happened to have peas and asparagus, but if you want to add spinach or any other vegetable instead, that would work great. Also – it definitely doesn’t hurt to add a pinch of parmesan cheese when you serve this!
One-Pot Quinoa, Chicken, and Greens
Yield 4-6 servings
- olive oil
- 4 scallions, sliced and with the whites and greens separated
- 1 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into halves or thirds
- zest from one lemon
- 1 1/3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 package of frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- juice from one lemon
- salt and pepper
- In a medium to large saucepan, heat the oil.
- When the oil is hot, cook the white parts of the scallions until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the quinoa, chicken, lemon zest, and chicken broth.
- Bring the pot to a boil and the reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and peas, and cover for about 4-5 minutes. Make sure the liquid is all absorbed.
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- With two forks, shred the chicken.
- Fluff the quinoa, add the lemon juice, and sprinkle with the parsley and scallion greens.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil and serve.
Adapted from Martha Stewart's One Pot.
Courses Lunch or Dinner