A slow cooker or Crock Pot is my favorite way to cook meatballs. It really just makes them so much juicier and the tomato really infuses into the meat. Plus, who doesn’t love a little extra cheese inside their meatball? You can, of course, ignore the step to stuff them with mozzarella, but you should just know that’s a weird move on your part.
Serve these with some zoodles, or even the zucchini cacio e pepe!
Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs (Slow Cooker)
Yield about 8 servings
These meatballs are so tender and delicious. You'll love them!
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 container of ciliegine (cherry size mozzarella balls)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 can/box (generally 750g) chopped tomatoes or tomato puree (I use Pomi, because I prefer them to be boxed)
- Mix together the veal, pork, garlic, cheese, milk, breadcrumbs, eggs, red pepper flakes, and salt until thoroughly combined.
- Form the mixture into balls and put 1 ciliegine in each meatball. Form around the mozzarella.
- Heat olive oil in a large skilled over medium-high heat.
- Brown the meatballs on all sides and then place into the slow cooker. Pour the tomatoes and tomato puree over the meatballs.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
Serve over pasta or zucchini noodles!