My mom lives in South Carolina, and every time we visit, we gain about 5lbs. In part due to the vacation mind-set and fried southern comfort food, and partly due to these babies! The hunting lodge we usually go to (apologies, if hunting offends anyone…) has these delicious Oreo truffles that they serve with lunch, and my sisters and I demolish them. So, I’ve been wanting to try to make them from the rough recipe they told us, and turns out, they’re pretty easy to make. Though I sort of made the recipe up from what they told me, I think they taste pretty much the same!
Also…I know… these are SO not healthy or clean… but they are so delicious. A really great dessert to have when you’re having a party or something because you can make them in advance and they will stay moist and delicious in the fridge for at least a week. Plus, if you used food coloring in the white chocolate, you could easily make these a festive treat for any party.
Cookies and Cream Truffles
Yield about 12 truffles
- 8oz Oreos (crushed up somewhat to make it easier to measure)
- 4oz cream cheese, softened
- one bag of white baking chocolate (about 12 oz.)
- 3oz semisweet baking chocolate
- Combine the Oreos and cream cheese in a food processor and blend until completely combined.
- Roll about 1 1/2-2 tablespoon of the mixture into balls onto a plate and set them aside in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Melt the white baking chocolate in the microwave in 15-30 second intervals until all melted.
- Remove the balls from the freezer and lay out some parchment.
- Drop the balls into the melted white chocolate and roll them around with a fork until fully covered. Remove from the chocolate and set aside on the parchment to harden.
- Once hardened, melt the semisweet chocolate in the microwave in 15-30 second intervals and use a fork to "paint" the truffles with chocolate streaks.
- Set aside to harden, and keep until the fridge until serving.
You could easily use white chocolate (with or without food coloring to cover the truffles with instead of the semisweet chocolate. Another option is to dip the truffles in Oreo crumbs right after dipping them in white chocolate.