Coconut Cashew "Alfredo" Sauce with Spaghetti Squash
Yield 2-4 servings
For the purposes of making the recipe as easy as possible, (and to avoid leaving you stranded with a half of a can of coconut milk...) I will use a full can; however, I find that this recipe should really be cut in half or three-quartered if you plan on using it for only one spaghetti squash (unless you plan on saving some of the sauce or like your pasta REALLY saucy)
- 1 spaghetti squash
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can of lite coconut milk (you can use full fat, if desired, obviously)
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup parmesan or asiago cheese (you can substitute nutritional yeast to make this dairy-free)
- 2 garlic cloves (can substitute garlic powder, if needed)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more, to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2-4 poached or fried eggs (optional, but highly recommended)
- Serve with additional parmesan cheese or vegan parmesan cheese
- Cook the spaghetti squash to your preference. Generally I microwave it for 10 minutes, which makes it easier to cut in half. Once halved, spoon out the seeds and spread olive oil on the open sides. Bake at 400°F for about 20-30 minutes, or until tender.
- While the spaghetti squash is baking, make the sauce.
- In a food processor, combine the coconut milk, cashews, lemon, cheese (or yeast), garlic, parsley, basil, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Remove the spaghetti squash from the oven and use a fork to scrape out the strands. Toss with the sauce, and serve with some additional cheese and topped with an egg.
Modified from Half Baked Harvest