Every bit as gooey and delicious as your standard grilled cheese sandwich, but you’ll feel a little lighter after eating it. Despite the fact that this is a bit healthier than your average grilled cheese, I actually enjoyed it more. Maybe that’s because it was healthier, or maybe it’s because it took more time and effort than your standard bread, but either way, it was a fun project with a delicious result. I don’t have kids, but if I did and I needed to sneak some more veggies into their diet…this is such a great way to do it. And of course, you can modify this in any way you want – add bacon, tomato, ham, etc. I just personally really love the simplicity of a traditional plain grilled cheese, and always have.
Cauliflower Grilled Cheese
Yield 2 sandwiches
Ooey, gooey goodness; just a little bit healthier!
- avocado oil
- 1 medium head of cauliflower (or the equivalent in pre-riced cauliflower)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2-4 thick slices of cheese (any type of cheese is fine, but I love a good sharp cheddar!)
- Follow the steps for making Cauliflower Bread (with the inclusion of parmesan cheese.)
- Keep an eye on the bread at about 10 or 15 minutes, and when it looks like the bread is almost done, add the cheese slices to two of the pieces of bread.
- Bake for about 4 minutes, until melted, and remove from the oven.
- Use a spatula to carefully remove the pieces of bread without cheese and smush them onto the cheese'd bread.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
Courses Lunch or Snack