These baked coconut chicken tenders are a healthier alternative to your typical fried chicken tender. That said, I must warn you… they are not gluten free. I used both coconut flakes and panko bread crumbs to create the ‘crunch’ on these tenders. If you wanted to make them gluten free, you could definitely just use coconut flakes – the taste will be the same.
I love making these chicken tenders to top this tropical salad, but they would be great as on their own, or with some honey mustard or barbecue sauce. These are also very versatile in terms of the fact that you can totally use this technique on a chicken paillard or cut up the chicken to make nuggets for the little ones.
Baked Coconut Chicken Tenders
Yield 2-4 servings
- 8 chicken tenders (or about 1 lb chicken cut into thin strips)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine the coconut and panko breadcrumbs with a pinch of sea salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat the egg whites in a small bowl and set aside.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Dip the chicken into the egg whites and then the breadcrumb mixture.
- Spray olive oil on a baking sheet.
- Place the chicken on the baking sheet and lightly spray with olive oil on top.
- Cook for about 15 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Courses Lunch or Dinner